Thursday 30 April 2009

You Know We Belong Together. You and I Forever and Ever... Home and Awaaaaay.

Tuesday 21st April

I got up nice and early this morning because I didn’t want to miss the most expensive ferry in the world – it cost $150.00 to take you from Invercargill to Stewart Island, the journey is about an hour, which doesn’t seem too bad, but it was the longest hour of my life. But more about that later! I got up, had a nice shower, put my massive bag in storage and then waited for the shuttle bus that takes you to the ferry. I think the ferry leaves from Invercargill, but I could be wrong, it could leave from Bluff, either way it was a bit of a drive. Once you arrive at the docks/ferry terminal, you check in and then wait for the ferry to go. Eventually everyone boards and then you set off on a wonderful adventure. The ferry we went across on holds about 100 people and it’s the bigger of the two ferries.

The journey didn’t start out too badly, we just started heading towards Stewart Island, but then I started feeling really, really rough. I was listening to a bit of Backstreet boys, trying to make myself feel a bit better and then all of a sudden I was like, “Right, I need to get outside and get some air”. I didn’t even have time for air. I didn’t even have time to get the paper bag out of my pocket, but I did make it to the side of the boat. I don’t really think that I need to provide details. I think you understand what happened next. It was not a pleasant experience, for anyone. I was quite discrete, I managed to get my little bag and tissues out, but still, there were children aboard the vessel – but like I said, I was fairly discrete, I hope. I won’t embarrass her, in case she reads this, but Katherine Martin’s story about the Ark Farm is possibly one of the funniest stories I have ever heard – if you’ve heard the story then you will know what I’m talking about, if not, you’re missing out, I think.

After that traumatic experience I was feeling much better and we were almost at Stewart Island, New Zealand’s third island. When we arrived I headed straight for the Hostel – Stewart Island Backpackers, the only Hostel on the island. I was able to check in straight away, so I went straight to the room and fell asleep for a few hours – I think the sea makes me sleepy! I love having naps, I was just so tired and there is nothing better than a little power nap. When you wake up you feel all warm inside. Children don’t realise how lucky they are! They have allocated nap time, every day! Not to mention all the other great perks of being a child – you get carried everywhere and it’s cute when you fall asleep in inappropriate places like the car, or church or even behind the sofa in a complete strangers house that you just so happened to walk into while playing hide and seek. Maybe that last one just applies to me. That actually happened – it’s one of my earliest childhood memories, I’m not too sure how I got there, the house was along the seafront and I went in through the back garden so I must have left my back garden and walked through a few back gardens to get into their back garden. I saw loads of toys, including a double-decker bus that you sit in and then I remember the door being open. Obviously I decided that it would be a good idea to go into the house to find some more wicked cool toys and then I heard a noise so I went behind the sofa and fell asleep. I remember waking up and looking out from behind the sofa and seeing a woman walking down the stairs, I guess I must have came out and said hello, because she recognised me and then she took me home. Apparently my parents had sent out the search party – Heather and James were walking around Baylands, shaking a tin of Roses to try and entice me out of my hiding spot. Obviously they were really worried. In fairness I did this quite a lot when I was a child, I would hide in really great places and then fall asleep, emerging when the game was over and everyone had forgotten about me. I used to hide behind the boiler in our clothespress. I’m like a cat, I gravitate towards nice warm places and then I fall sleep. Some things never change; I’ve literally just woken up from another epic nap.

Anyway, after my nap I walked into the centre of town – it wasn’t much of a walk, Stewart Island is really small, there is literally one grocery shop, a cafe, a small hotel and restaurant, a backpackers, a library, the smallest museum ever, an information centre and the Department of Conservation office. I got some Coco Pops and then headed back to the Hostel where I watched some T.V. I don’t think I have ever been so happy – Home and Away was on. I was literally glued to the screen. Nobody else way paying any attention but I had the volume turned right up and I was focused intently. It was amazing. It is my most favourite T.V show, well it’s one of them, but it’s right up at the top of the list! There also a few weeks ahead over here, so I had no idea, but it’s not that hard to figure out what’s happening! I can’t wait until I go to Australia – just so I can go to Summer Bay! If I just so happen to be walking along the beach when they film a scene that would be totally fine by me and if I just so happen to chase and tackle Geoff or Aden or Roman that is also totally fine by me. I may also have to punch Belle in the face, because she is possibly the most annoying person in the world. I’m aware that Belle is just a character, but I’m pretty sure that she’s an annoying person too. Maybe I shouldn’t go to Summer Bay. I also plan on doing the Neighbours Tour. It’s a lifelong dream – I would literally die happy if I met the Kennedy Family and Harold and Lou. I will literally go to Australia just for that. Anyway, back to Stewart Island. I watched Home and Away, Malcolm in the Middle, King of the Hill, Futurama, Rock of Love and Charm School. I was actually amazed that people go on shows like Rock of Love. They basically try to convince this famous musician that they are in love with him and then he eliminates one girl at the end of every episode. It’s quite pathetic, there is no way that these girls are actually in love with him, they just want to be famous. It’s really shallow and it’s actually really sad to watch and see the lengths that some girls will go to just to be famous. Silly people. We also watched Charm School, where they take the worst girls from a reality T.V show called Flavour of Love (also like Rock of Love, but with a different Musician, Flava Flav, or something stupid like that) and they try to refine them. That show also surprised me, there are some psychotic people out there! Some of the girls would just throw these mega tantrums and then they would act like that was the normal thing to do. No, it’s really not. They are a bunch of grown women, they should start acting like that. They also need to learn some manners, some of them are just so rude. Some reality T.V is so stupid, I hate stupid reality T.V and I hate Big Brother with a passion, but I’m not even going to lie, it’s my lifelong dream to go on Shipwrecked: Battle of the Islands. Literally, I have watched every season, even way back in the day when it first started and it was just the one island (I think it was called Nuku Island back then). One day I will apply and if I don’t get accepted I’m just going to go to the Cook Islands and pretend that I’m on Shipwrecked. Maybe I’ll swim to their island. It will happen, watch this space people!

Right back to Stewart Island – I watched a ridiculous amount of television and then I went to bed. Great success.

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment