Monday 27 April 2009

Bonjour Westport.

Friday 3rd April

Today I left lovely Nelson. I woke up nice and early, got my things sorted out and prepared for my walk back to Fern Lodge, where I was being collected by the Kiwi Experience Bus. I wasn’t really looking forward to that, I was actually hoping that the Hostel owner would be up because I was planning on asking him for a lift, but he wasn’t! Then I saw the number for a Taxi firm, I gave them a call and in less than 3 minutes, he was waiting for me outside! Taxi’s are seriously great. Totally won’t use them when I get home, but for here they are perfect!

Because I took a Taxi I was really early for the bus, so I got chatting to another guy who was really early for the bus. He was a French chap, so I was able to show off my French skills. I recited part of my G.C.S.E French Oral! Bad idea... He was very nice and said that my accent was good, but I’m pretty sure he was lying – remember my pal Mr McCullough, who told me I was so bad at French that I shouldn’t even bother taking the exam because I would fail and then I wouldn’t be offered a place at University. Idiot. He was actually really rude, he insulted Esther’s parenting skills – neither of us were very happy. I did the exam anyway and after my Oral he actually told me that I had proved him right and that I had failed my G.C.S.E French exam, which was really horrible of him. He can’t officially say that, but he did, so I told him what I thought of him, which was fun, very liberating. I then left the room, slamming the door behind me – I wonder if he recorded that part of our conversation! Anyway, turns out that I’m a genius because I got a C and a C is a pass – and that’s all I care about!

Anyway, the French guy and I had a chat before the buses arrived – there were two because there was quite a big group of us, so we went with one driver who was called Ringo, like in Neighbours. He’s actually quite attractive and he has awesome taste in music, so I’m rather happy about that (the music more so than the attractiveness). We left Nelson and then made a stop at a really beautiful lake – we had stopped to buy lunch supplies, so we had a picnic. Now, if you know me, you will know that I love Ducks – I’ve always wanted a Duck as a pet! Well, there were so many Ducks at this place and they knew I was eating so they came right up to me and started trying to get food. It was quite scary and I realise how stupid that sounds, they are just little Ducks, but when there are 20 little Ducks coming at you, it is quite scary. They were trying to get into my bag and they wouldn’t stop following me. They were nipping each other and getting all rowdy, so I gave them my sandwiches and the ham I had bought! The lake was actually really beautiful, it’s part of the Nelson Lakes National Park and it was called Lake Rotoiti. A few people went in swimming, but I couldn’t be bothered getting all wet and then having to dry off, so I just went for a paddle.

After our Lake stop we kept driving towards Westport, we stopped for ice cream – they like their ice cream in New Zealand! On the way to Westport we played a game, sort of like musical chairs, but on a bus and there were no winners, so not really like musical chairs at all, but music and chairs were involved. Moving in a circle, you had to go sit in the seat in front of you, so you got talking to the person who had been sitting in front of you. You changed as the song changed and we did this until we had met everyone on the bus. It was actually a really nice way to meet people, but it really wrecked me! I’m so tired now! Seriously, talking to people is exhausting – especially when it’s an entire bus and you have to ask the same questions over and over again! After the getting to know you game we arrived at the Hostel. It’s not too bad – the bunk beds are pink and the sheets and walls are yellow. Groovy.

I think I’m going to go for a walk around town, see what there actually is in Westport – might even try to find some wireless internet!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment