Sunday 5 April 2009

Night at the Museum. In the Daytime.

Today I set my alarm clock and I physically couldn’t get out of bed! This happens quite a lot to me, so don’t be alarmed, I just slept for a few extra hours! Eventually I faced the inevitability that I would need to get out of bed, at least to feed myself. So that’s what I did. Got out of bed, ate some cream crackers and then I was on my way. I decided to visit Te Papa Museum. I love Museums, so it made sense. It was actually a really good trip. They have a Giant Squid on display, which everyone was really excited to see. Turns out, it was a Squid, but giant. I was fun to look at, so if Giant Squids ever come up in conversations, I can say, “Oh yeah, Giant Squids. When I was trekking through the deepest, darkest forests of New Zealand, I went to the Te Papa Museum in Wellington and saw a Giant Squid.” In awe and admiration the person will then enquire, “Well, what was it like?” In the most eloquent way possible, I will say, “Honestly, it was pretty rubbish. It was cool to see the thing and everything, but it was dead and it looked really gross, it looked like its skin was coming off, it was all pink and flaky. Also, it’s not even the biggest Giant Squid ever found, just the heaviest. But it was cool to see a Giant Squid. Now I have another thing to be afraid of when I’m swimming in the sea.” I will then tell them that only female Giant Squids have been found, because I think that’s pretty cool. And then the conversation will end, just like this paragraph.

Te Papa was actually quite good. They had some interesting stuff on display. I actually really enjoyed the art exhibition part of the Museum. You weren’t actually allowed to take pictures in the Museum, but I so did and nobody shouted at me, so I consider that a success. I took pictures of art I liked and the artist who painted/photographed the piece. My all time favourite was by a woman called Alexis Hunter, at least I think it was a woman, it’s quite an ambiguous name, but I’m 99.9% sure that she was a she, because all her pictures were of men. She was making a statement about how woman’s bodies are objectified in art. So she objectified men. I actually really loved her pictures – she focuses on specific parts of a man that display his masculinity – like his arms and torso. There are no faces in her pictures, just torso’s and arms. Sometimes crossed, sometimes at ease and then in the background you can see typical male objects, like a car. Very, very cool. When I finally grow up, get a job and move out, I’m going to have loads of cool art all over the place; her pictures will definitely be on display!

I did like the Museum, it was really good, but I think I might have liked the Auckland Museum more! Auckland had so much information on Evolution, Space, Animals, Marine Wildlife, and the World Wars – all the geeky things that I love! While Te Papa had loads of cool stuff – it’s all very high tech and expensive, I think Auckland Museum had more things that I was interested in! Te Papa is actually a really good Museum for kids – they have loads of play areas. There are two tiny people that I would love to take there!

After the Museum I went for a look around Wellington. I ended up in another Book Shop. Which actually ended quite well, I only bought one book and it was only $12.00! It was a Kathy Reichs book – if you watch Bones then you should know who I’m talking about. Kathy Reichs is an Anthropologist, who is also an author and her books were turned into the T.V show, Bones – which is also loosely based on her life. Basically the T.V show and books are probably really over exaggerated and sometimes the information and techniques are totally made up – but I love the books and the show! Especially the show! The characters in the book are slightly different to the characters in the T.V show, but I just pretend that I’m watching the show when I read the books. That sounds seriously sad. Probably shouldn’t have admitted that to the entire world, well, the few people that actually read this. O.K, moving on.

After getting my book I went looking for some Flip Flops, which are called Jandals here – strange. Oh, but I can tell you why they are called Jandals. Jandals became popular after New Zealanders saw some Japanese people wearing these sandals – so naturally they called them Jandals – Japanese Sandals (combine the words). That may or may not be true, but someone told me that and it sounds like it could be true. I would check on Google, but I really don’t care that much! Anyway, I went looking for Flip Flops and I did find some, quite a few actually, but the decision making process has always been difficult for me. So basically I sat and looked at each pair, selected a few for a “maybe” pile and then tried some on. The conclusion I reached – I do not and will never suit Flip Flops. I actually looked so dumb. Maybe it was just the ones I was trying on that made me look like an idiot, maybe I just look like an idiot all the time and the Flip Flops helped me realise this. I don’t know, but what I do know is that I didn’t buy any Flip Flops. Instead I bought a bag! It’s so pretty! It’s a Billabong number and it’s blue and brown with a funny hippy pattern on it. It has a long strap, so it hangs down and it’s all slouchy.
It’s very, hippyish, I like it!

After making my very practical purchase, I went back to the Hostel, had some noodles and read my book. Lovely.

Xx

1 comment:

  1. Deldon and I love Bones, didn't know it was books turned in to a show - mustn't let Deldon in on that as he'll buy all the books and then ignore me at nights by reading!!

    ReplyDelete