Monday 27 April 2009

Hello Queeeeeenstown!

Wednesday 8th April

Today we left Wanaka – we didn’t get to spend much time there, probably because it’s so small, but I really liked it – there was a nice atmosphere around Wanaka and the lake was really beautiful. Our first stop of the day was Puzzling World, where I got some chocolate cake for breakfast, which was pretty huge, but pretty nice. After the cake we took a walk around the maze at Puzzling World, but we got bored, so we left through one of the emergency exits. We then went inside the optical illusions rooms, they were cool, some were 3D images, there was a room where on one side you look really big and on the other side you look really small. There was a room of faces, which had a bunch of concave faces in them, but they looked convex and then there was a room that sloped down, but the water ran upwards. It wasn’t too bad if you want to fill an hour or so, but it made me feel really sick! It was too confusing. Meh.

After Puzzling World we stopped off at AJ Hackett’s Bungy Site, where the first commercial Bungy took place – it looked alright, but if I’m going to do a Bungy then I’m going to do the Nevis! While some people were jumping I got some Flip Flops, finally! We then went to Queenstown where we checked into our rooms – we were too late to get a shared room, so I went to Sanctuary and got my free towel! James and Rob got a room together, so did Josh and Jess and Anthony and Pete got an amazing room together – it was a four bed room and they had an ensuite and a balcony with a view! Not that I’m bitter or anything. During the day we just did the usual things, a grocery shop and while everyone went to make dinner, I ventured to Fergburger.
This deserves an entire paragraph. I got a Fergburger with Cheese. I thought I would start out with a classic – nothing beats a cheeseburger. Correction – a Ferg with Cheese beats a cheeseburger. It was an absolute beauty – the actual burger bun was huge (in both thickness and circumference) and it was nice burger bun, soft but not too soft, it was like a real burger bun, it was even slightly toasted. The fillings were fairly typical – traditional New Zealand Beef, Tomato Relish, Lettuce (pray – it has to be said, if you have attended House or regular Assembly in Glenlola Collegiate then you know what I’m talking about), Cheese, something is telling me that it was Edam Cheese, but I can’t be sure, the menu is upstairs and as important as this description is, I don’t plan on moving – I’m too engrossed in the wonder of Ferg. The burger also comes with Red Onion, which I’m not too fond of, so I skipped that! The burger was pretty substantial, but I totally destroyed it – very gracefully might I add, I challenge you to eat a Fergburger without getting it everywhere! In summary, Fergburger Number One – The Fergburger with Cheese, was a great success. A really nice burger, a really huge burger and yet I didn’t want it to end, even when I could no longer move. I think Mr Fergburger and I will become great friends.

Once I regained the ability to move I started the momentous task of getting ready to go out with everyone. When I was finally ready I headed down to the Altitude Bar – the bar attached to Base in Queenstown. It’s actually quite a good bar – it’s where pretty much all nights out begin, everyone meets here and after a while they head onto the next bar, which is what we did! We went from Altitude Bar to the World Bar, which is another really great bar – it’s just up the street and it gets really busy at around 12ish, when everyone leaves Altitude and goes to World Bar. They serve their cocktails in teapots, which is actually pretty cool, you can drink straight out of the teapot or you can use the little plastic shot glasses they give out – if you go to my church then they look like little pink sacrament cups! Both the bars played really good music, which I was really happy about, I love having a good old boogie, but once it starts, it doesn’t stop. Really, once I get going then you will have to drag me home. It’s not a pretty sight either, I can’t actually dance, but I sure try! I think it’s an illness. Some side effects of this illness include; the genuine belief that you can actually dance and that everyone not only wants to, but needs to witness your moves. I also find that if there is a stage in sight that you are drawn to it, which obviously happened in World Bar and suddenly everyday tasks become dance worthy – stacking the shelves, rolling the dice, big fish little fish cardboard box. Need I say anymore? After a night of shockingly bad dancing, courtesy of yours truly, we headed back to the Hostel. Our first night in Queenstown was actually really good, it is a really good town if you are into going out and all that jazz!

Today we learnt that Alcohol can, in some ways, be a positive thing – for me that is. You being drunk is great for me, I can dance as badly as I want and you won’t remember a thing! The downside is that you won’t remember what you did, but don’t worry, I’m only too happy to tell you about all the stupid things you did, I’m like an elephant... I never forget :)

P.S Why did I think it was a good idea to publicly state that “I’m like an elephant”?

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment