Saturday 22 December 2012

Angkor Wat.


30th November 2012


Perhaps the restaurant wasn't so great... I spent the night tossing and turing with a sore stomach! Unfortunately I couldn't sleep it off because we were up and on a tuk tuk by 4.30am, heading through the dark city and towards Angkor Wat! We paid the $20 entrance fee and made our way to the lake to watch the sunrise. If you ever find yourself in Cambodia, you should really drag yourself out of bed and get to Angkor Wat before the crowds. If you can, get as close to the lake as possible, that way nobody can stand in front of you and ruin the view, which at sunrise is pretty amazing! My pictures don't do the place justice but I'm pretty pleased with them and so glad I bought a new camera for the last few weeks of the trip!





























Monkeys!

More monkeys!





After seeing the sunrise I was feeling pretty awful but I powered through the pain and we had a good look around Angkor Wat. I didn't know much about the place before we arrived but there are so many temples, it would take an age to walk around them all but luckily for us our tuk tuk driver stayed with us for the entire day and drove us to all the different ruins!




















There was still a fair amount of walking, particularly up and down old stone steps and as the day progressed I continued to feel horrific. The sore stomach had evolved into faintness and cold sweats but we paid for our tickets and I'll probably never be here again so we kept on running around temples and posing for pictures. That's not to say I didn't complain. I did, a lot. While Rory put up with my moaning, I'm fairly sure he thought I was faking because I couldn't be bothered to climb up another massive building but I sure showed him when I proceeded to throw up all over the ruins! As much as I'm enjoying my travelling experience, I'd rather skip out all the sickness but I suppose it's worth getting sick if you get to see things like this!


















We spent a good eight hours walking around the ancient city but unfortunately my camera died just as we got to the cool ruins which feature in Tomb Raider! I borrowed Rory's and got a few snaps but it's a fair few years old and I don't think they came out very well... I strongly suggest coming to Cambodia and seeing them for yourselves! You could spend less or more time exploring the ruins and while I would have liked to spend the entire day there, I was feeling pretty worn out so we headed back to the hostel and I fell asleep pretty much instantly!




When I woke up I still wasn't feeling well but we headed out for a late lunch. I couldn't finish my nutritious onion rings even though they were beaut and from the number one restaurant on Trip Advisor! The restaurant trains and helps adult orphans find employment in the catering industry which is pretty great! Instead of heading out for a big dinner we stayed in and watched The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, a real classic, all over the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment