Monday 8 June 2009

Adventures in the Town of Christ(church)

Friday 1st May

Today was Mairead’s last day in New Zealand so we decided to actually see some of Christchurch. I got up quite early, got ready and then called for Mike and Mairead (Remember how you used to call for your friends, to see if they would come out and play?) Everyone was asleep when I arrived but they all got up and we had a nice, early morning chat, about underpants and how we will need to buy some new ones when we go home. After that great chat, we got ready, messed around for a while and then went into Christchurch.

We ended up going to the Botanical Gardens which was really nice, just walking around, looking at the foliage (such a great word). There were also a lot of Ducks, which made me happy, I love Ducks, there just so cute! Once we had seen everything there was to see we went back into town, found a Sports Pub and got some lunch. I got Fish and Chips and the Chips were yum yum yummy! We also managed to fit in a trip to The Warehouse, where I looked at suitcases, again, and ended up buying a wide variety of junk food, again. We then walked back to the Hostel and Mairead put on some washing. We also met Mairead and Mikes roomie. He had been in the room when we were having out underwear conversation, but we had all thought he was asleep, but he heard the bit about the knickers! How embarrassing, a stranger knowing about your pants from Primark!

He was actually a really nice guy and he was travelling with another guy who was from Fermanagh, so that was nice, doing the old, “I’m from Bangor” thing... It’s always nice when people know where you are from. I don’t really know why, I suppose it’s just nice to meet someone from home. The six of us (Mike, Mairead, Shane, Matt from London, Steven from Fermanagh and Gina from Bangor) ended up sharing a few Pizza’s and then we headed down to the Hostel Bar. I can’t remember the name of the Hostel Bar, but it was quite small. I actually ran into someone I knew – a guy called Ben. Now Ben and I met in the Bay of Islands, at the very start of my trip. He was on the Stray Bus and I was on Kiwi, but we met on the beach, had a chat and then that was that. But we just kept bumping into each other at like every stop, from North to South Island! It was really strange, but also quite nice because he was a really lovely chap and we developed a nice wee friendship. So to see him in Christchurch pretty much the day before I left for America was really nice!

After hanging around the bar for a while, we played a few games of killer pool, which I’m still pretty rubbish at, but it was really fun! After an hour and a half of that we went back up to the TV room and everyone headed to bed. Matt and I actually stayed up for a while, just having a chat. It’s funny how easy it is to make friends when you are travelling. Everyone is just so open and friendly – like obviously you get some idiots, but for the most part, people tend to be really genuine and really nice. You can actually have a decent conversation with someone you have only known for a few days or a few hours. You can be anyone you want to be and I found it very easy to be myself, which I think is a good thing, especially if you like yourself, which I think I do. For now anyway :)

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment