Monday 8 June 2009

Everybody Loves Milford.

Friday 24th April

Today was a really busy day. I got up nice and early, had a shower and then trekked down to the bus stop. It really was a trek because one of the wheels on my suitcase came totally off, so that was a lot of fun, trying to get a huge suitcase 10 minutes down the road. Bad times. We met our bus driver, who looked really like someone I know, so that was strange and then we got on the bus. I was sitting beside a girl from Fermanagh (high) but I wasn’t feeling very sociable (big surprise) so Mr iPod and I had a great morning! We made a few photo and bathroom stops and then we stopped at the Mirror Lakes, which were really beautiful. Basically you can see the reflection of the mountains in the perfectly still lakes. They were really nice, but a lot smaller than I had imagined. After the Mirror Lakes we kept driving, and again, made some picture stops.

I actually thought the drive to Milford Sound was more impressive than Milford Sound itself – a very bold statement to make because everybody loves Milford, but the drive was just amazing. We passed mountains and rivers, glaciers and cliff faces. It was easily one of the nicest drives I have ever been on! The bus driver made the trip even better with his excellent choice in music. He had all the usuals, but he also had some classics, like the Backstreet Boys, which pleased me (and a lot of other people on the bus, there was some bus singing, with harmonies and everything). We also went through a tunnel and the driver turned off all the lights, even the headlights and put on the Mission Impossible music, which he then changed to the Jurassic Park music for when we emerged!

We did a few short walks (like 5 minutes each, I love short walks) and then we went to the Milford Ferry Terminal Thingy. We got on a big boat and went straight to the buffet! Typical, but I was starving. Buffets are so good, but so wasteful. I take a bit of everything and then only try a little bit of each and I end up leaving the rest. Anyway, when we were done eating we walked around the ferry and I went outside to take pictures. I felt quite bad, I was right at the front of the boat, getting all the good pictures and getting in everyone’s way, but in fairness, I didn’t feel bad enough to move. There was one little Asian man that I wanted to punch in the face. He was right up at the front too, but he was singing. Singing. That’s right. It was like he was Celine Dion, standing at the front of the Titanic, belting his lungs out. It actually started to really annoy me and then he stopped. And instead he started doing some freaky breathing/meditation exercises. He almost ruined my whole day with his annoyingness. Almost but not quite.

I probably should describe Milford Sound. But really, I don’t think I could do the place any justice. It is very beautiful, but honestly, I think it was slightly over rated. I think if I had of went to Milford, not knowing anything about it, I would have been pleasantly surprised. It was really lovely, but so many people had told me that it was the most beautiful place in the whole world, so I had high expectations, that sadly weren’t met. I did think it was beautiful – but it didn’t change my life. There wasn’t a moment of realisation. I didn’t feel like weeping with happiness. I just thought it was a nice place. But poor old Milford – New Zealand is so beautiful, it must be hard trying to live up to a reputation that has preceded you.

I suggest that you Google Milford Sound to see what it looks like – it really is nice, but after seeing the rest of New Zealand, nice isn’t nice enough. After our cruise we went to an underwater observatory, which was pretty rubbish, but still, at least I can say that I’ve been into an underwater observatory. After observing underwater life we got back on the cruise and headed back to the docks/terminal/place where we got off and got back on the bus. We then started our long drive back to Queenstown! It was a really nice drive – I saw some of the most amazing cloud formations on that bus journey! One thing I really love about New Zealand is the clouds. I have never seen anything like it! Which shouldn’t really surprise me – the Maori name for New Zealand is Aotearoa, which translates to “the land of the long white cloud”.

When we arrived in Queenstown I went straight to Base, where I had managed to get a room – I was quite sneaky – they had turned down a friend of mine because they were full, but I rang the Base Headquarters and was like “Are you sure? Can you check again?” I also told them that I was with Kiwi and they asked if I was with the Kiwi Group that had reserved beds and even though I wasn’t, I said I was. And it worked – they got me a bed in Sanctuary! So when we arrived in Queenstown I went to my room, dropped off my bags, went on the internet, met up with a friend... and then hit up Fergburger. I wasn’t even hungry, but I had to at least try eating one – for the sake of tradition. I wanted to have a Fergburger for every day that I was in Queenstown – and I did! I know, my accomplishments astound you. Sometimes I can’t believe I have achieved so much in such a short time!

All in all, today was a really nice day. It is worth going to Milford – just try to go expecting very little, don’t build it up, that way you will be really surprised when you see how pretty it is! I would also recommend going to Doubtful Sound, which I haven’t been to so I can’t really recommend it, but I hear it’s really beautiful, even nicer than Milford! I would have liked to have gone, I think they only do a two day trip because it’s so big, but I ran out of time! Looks like I’ll just have to come back...

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment