Monday 8 June 2009

Back to Civilisation, Sort Of.

Thursday 23rd April

Today I left Stewart Island and went back to Invercargill! I actually really enjoyed Stewart Island, I don’t know if I could live there, but I would definitely go back! The Ferry left pretty early and the crossing was totally fine! I’m still traumatised by my first crossing, but at least I was fine on the way back! We went back to Invercargill where I was collected by the Kiwi Experience Bottom Bus – but today the bus was white! Shocking, I know.

Our driver was really old, like granda old, and he was wearing some serious short shorts... Nice. We did about a million stops today, which I normally don’t mind, but today I just wanted to listen to Mr iPod. Our first stop was a big, concrete Whale. Yup, a Whale, made out of concrete. The natural thing to do was obviously to climb on top of it and take pictures. So that’s what I did. After the Whale we went to some random place. I don’t think it’s an actual touristy place, but the driver thought it would be nice to stop and have a look – it was actually really beautiful, very green, lots of hills, nice beach – it actually looked quite like the Giants Causeway on a sunny day. After that we went to Monkey Beach, or something like that, I know that the word Monkey was included somewhere in the title. It was another pretty beach and we took lots of pictures. I tried to write a message in the sand, but the sun wasn’t shining the right way so the words don’t come up properly unless you turn the picture upside down. Genius. After that tasteful stop we went to a less tasteful stop – McCraken’s Rest. If you did the Bottom Bus then you know what I’m talking about. It’s basically sign that says McCracken’s Rest. So the logical thing to do is to sit on the sign, with your McCracken out. You will be relieved to know that I did not do that, but I did get a few pictures of me sitting on the sign, fully clothed. After that we made a few more photo stops, got some really gross lunch and then drove to Te Anu.

Te Anu is actually a really beautiful place, it would have been nice to stay for longer but it’s so small, there isn’t really a lot to do and I was running out of time, so meh! That night I got myself a Subway, which was amazing, nothing beats Chicken and Bacon Ranch, on Italian bread, with green peppers and lettuce. Beautiful. We also watched some random movie, 21 Grams, it was crap, so don’t waste your time watching it, it was a proper waste of my life. Despite the movie wasting my valuable time, I had a really good day.

One last thing that I feel deserves a mention – the bathroom for our room was across the hall and it was really tiny and horrible – another chap and myself both thought it looked like a place where you would get murdered, so after joking about that, I was really scared to use it!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment