Monday 9 March 2009

Hello New Zealand

I’m sitting in my hostel in Auckland and I thought I would give you all a little update! I should really be checking into my room, but the queue is long and I can’t be bothered standing around... Anyway, I managed to get here, I didn’t miss any of my flights, I got on the right bus and I even met a few fellow travellers!

This epic journey started in Belfast, with dad driving us to the airport, we were a bit late and I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a few speeding tickets because of this! After checking in our baggage and paying the overweight baggage charge (for my bag, obviously) we were on our way. I say we because James was at the airport with me – he flew to Gatwick and I flew to Heathrow! We both arrived at our destinations and after taking 2 trains I was finally at the departure gate – I only had 6 hours to wait!

Finally I boarded the flight to L.A , which was seriously long! It was a B.A flight so it was actually quite nice – lots of free drinks and the usual airplane meal – “Chicken” and “Rice”. Sure. The flight was pretty uneventful – I watched Doubt, The Secret Life of Bee’s and Australia – I think I should take a moment to tell you all just how beautiful Hugh Jackman is. My goodness, after seeing that movie I was seriously tempted to change my flights from Auckland to Australia! If you haven’t seen the movie you really should – yes there are about 50 different possible endings and it is quite weird in parts but it was worth the watch – life changing scenes include Hugh Jackman dumping a bucket of water over his head, Hugh Jackman dancing, Hugh Jackman in a suit, Hugh Jackman on a horse, Hugh Jackman in every scene. So yes, great movie, go see “Hugh Jackman”, emm I mean, “Australia”.

Doubt was a decent movie, the cast was good, but The Secret Life of Bee’s was really, really good. It was one of those movies that makes you think – the actors were brilliant, especially Dakota Fanning! I’m not even going to lie – there were a few teary moments on the plane – actually, there were a lot. Very embarrassing especially as I was sitting beside some random foreign man. Good times.

When we arrived in L.A we were late for the next flight so we had to collect our baggage, run and get our baggage checked in again and then we had to run to the departure gate! We weren’t too late as they were still boarding, but still, not a fun thing to do! The flight from L.A to Auckland was really good actually, there were four of us in a row, two American girls and a guy from Norway – he had dreadlocks – awesome! We were quite the rowdy row, but after some airplane banter we all had a wee sleep – I watched The Wrestler and we were in Auckland in no time!
We arrived in Auckland at 6.10am on Monday morning – I befriended a nice English girl and we went through customs together, we then parted ways – we were going to different parts of the city... Then I got on the Airbus Express where I met another English girl and we went to the Hostel together! Because we weren’t able to check in for a few hours we decided to get some breakfast and have a walk around Auckland. We went to the Sky Tower and took a few pictures (we weren’t in any as we looked properly minging) and then we walked down to the docks. We may or may not have made a stop to Dunkin’ Doughnuts, I can’t say if we did because Esther (my loving mother) will probably freak and say that I shouldn’t be eating doughnuts – but realistically, it’s a once in a lifetime/once in a day opportunity ! It’s opposite my Hostel – this could be a problem.

Finally I was able to check into my room – It’s pretty nice, there are four girls in a room – I haven’t met any of my roomies as I was the last one into the room – I have the top bunk, sweet! So yeah, I got a shower – In the past I have had many good showers, but this one was really awesome. The actual shower was pretty basic, the water was hot and then cold and you had to push a button for anything to happen – but it was still an awesome showering experience – I feel so clean! Now that I’m nice and clean (with curly hair) I decided to take a walk. I walked straight down Queens Street (the street my Hostel is on) and I arrived back at the docks – so right now I am sitting out, in the sun (and the wind, with occasional clouds), listening to a bit of Colbie Caillat, watching the ferries go back and forth – this is officially 100 times better than being in Bangor! Fact! However, the seagulls are freaking me out, especially this one that keeps fluffing its feathers up and chasing the other birds away! There nice to look at, from a distance, but they keep flying near me and I am not liking this at all... Ahh, one just flew at my feet! (s me of the time Esther befriended a seagull and I couldn’t sunbathe (or revise) because it kept landing on my sun lounger!) I hate birds. So much.

So yeah, Auckland is pretty nice – there is a lot of walking and quite a few hills, which I’m not too fond of, but I’m going to have to stop being lazy one day, it might as well be when I’m here! Random thought as I look at the sea – I really want to go swimming, hopefully I’ll get to when we go up to the Bay of Islands!

Also, I would just like to say that the providers of Wireless Internet are all really mean. You have to pay for EVERY single one – ceeeerap! If I want to use the internet for free I will have to go to a food place, like McDonalds, which isn’t too bad, but it means that I’m getting fatter in order to use the internet. Not fun! And on that note, I’m away to buy flip flops, the only thing I didn’t bring with me, because I don’t want to stand on the skanky shower floor in my bare feet again!
Update: I still haven’t got flipping flops, I did get ear plugs though, I’m really excited about sleeping tonight... I am soo unbelievably tired. Also I met a really nice girl today, my roomie! She’s from China and she’s really sweet – that’s one psycho roomie down, about 1,000 more to go! In relation to the food/internet saga, I decided to go to McDonalds, so I could use the internet while stuffing my face! G –R –E – A –T ! Some things never change...

Last thing – If you’re as clever as you look then you will see that I uploaded all these Blogs on the same date – short version, I’m Lazy. Long version, I’m Lazy.

xx

1 comment: