Sunday 5 July 2015

Spared No Expense

23/06/15

We’ve been in Canada for almost two weeks but I still find myself waking up early – until now. When I rolled over to check the clock it was 10.30am! We missed breakfast but there are worse things in the world and so we decided to run with the whole lazy thing and gave ourselves a day off. Without anything to rush off to we took our time, got ready and eventually walked in to town for a nosey. We weren’t completely lazy – we did have to do some laundry. Doing laundry in a foreign country is always a bit weird – waiting in a room full of washing machines, with people you don’t know, washing your pants. Odd.



Banff

Famous Fudge


Our Hotel
Beaver Tail



 Waiting for our washing gave us a chance to call in to the information centre where we got a few ideas for hikes and a few tips on how to survive a bear attack; spoiler – you don’t, so fingers crossed you don’t meet a hungry bear. When we’d picked up our clothes, nice and hot from the tumble dryer, we went back to the hotel, did some research/lazing around until our tummies began to grumble and we decided to walk back to town. Despite doing exhaustive research on where to eat, we deviated from the plan and I’m so glad we did – a steak sandwich, with fries and salad, for $8. Amazing!



View from the bar in Banff





But wait, the excitement doesn’t end there – like anyone alive in the 90s, I’m a massive Jurassic Park fan and I’ve been patiently waiting to get back to England so I can go to a cinema and see the cinematic treat that is Jurassic World. Imagine my delight when I discovered that there’s not only a cinema in Banff but that they have a special deal on Tuesdays where you get popcorn, a drink and your ticket for $15. So I dragged Captain No Craic along to the cinema, picked up my MASSIVE drink and popcorn (which was smothered in butter and definitely larger than a medium), put my 3D glasses on and patiently waited for that sweet moment when the music starts and you just know you’re about to experience something magical. Yes, I realise it’s for children, it’s not real and the plot is exactly the same as the first Jurassic movie but I don’t care. It was great. Spared no expense.


JURASSIC PARK


I practically floated back to the hotel and then I literally floated, in the Jacuzzi, while discussing how Jurassic Park could definitely happen. To top the evening off we saw these chaps, right outside out room! Granted, I would have preferred to see a T-Rex but beggars can’t be choosers!












No comments:

Post a Comment