Sunday 5 July 2015

Banff Beginnings

22/06/15

Despite being a relatively cheap Motel/Hotel, the Kelowna Inn and Suites offered a free breakfast. As someone who is kind of sort of from the continent, I would like to apologise to the world for our role in breakfast. Why don’t we have sausages and bacon each and every morning? I don’t know. Why do we only offer yoghurt, fruit, healthy looking cereal and an assortment of pastries? I can’t answer that. I can only say that I’m sorry and if you come stay with me I’ll heat something up for you, it might be a Pop Tart but I can guarantee it won’t be a boiled egg and fruit salad. 

To be fair, the breakfast wasn’t that bad and by the time I’d stocked up on cartons of orange and apple juice it was a distant memory. We were on our way to Banff. The drive, as expected, was beautiful. On Vancouver Island there were plenty of places to stop but rest stops seemed to be few and far between on the road to Banff. As we entered Revelstoke National Park we saw a picnic area and decided to finish the leftovers from dinner. That’s another great thing about Canada/America – doggy bags. Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest ones.











The entire drive was beautiful but my favourite part of the drive was passing through Glacier National Park – the mountains were so impressive and as Rory was driving, I managed to take a few snaps! All the beauty made what was a six hour drive go very quickly and in no time at all we were in Banff, checking in to our very fancy, Alpine themed hotel.










After a quick unpack we began exploring Banff town. Rory was still moaning that he was full from last night but when he saw Eddie Burger he shut up, sat down and ordered a monster of a burger. In our defence, the double patty, extra bacon with cheese and special sauce Eddie burger was on special for $11 and it was worth every penny. Well, almost. The waitress forgot to mention that fries weren’t included in the $11 so what should have been a nice cheap meal added up. Definitely because of the fries. Absolutely had nothing to do with my massive milkshake.




I don’t really know what I expected from Banff – maybe I thought it would be a bit more remote, a bit more “in the mountains” with bears roaming the street as opposed to tourists but it’s not that bad. In fact, we think you’ve got potential, kid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment