Thursday 15 April 2010

Une Bounty, Si Vous Plait.

Wednesday 14th April 2010

Sorry about the title – it’s a family joke but it seemed fitting as today we went to FRANCE! Many of you will know how I feel about France and the French – it’s a love hate relationship (without the love). This irrational detestation of the French stems from my GCSE French teacher who did not see my potential as an interpreter. In fact, he crushed my self confidence, making me believe that I would never progress to the expert level of ordering a Big Mac with cheese and ketchup only. He was a little jerk and I hated French. I did however, pass my French GCSE, not that you would know – the extent of my French chat today was “Eeeeeenglish???”. But that’s another story.

So anyway, we left pretty early this morning and took a coach to Annecy, France. The drive wasn’t too long and it was really quite scenic (right Emma, full of beautiful buildings? Much nicer than Switzerland?). Once we arrived we took the not-so-scenic long way to the lake and stopped for lunch. I love food. I love talking about food. I love taking pictures of food. I think about food all the time and therefore I have decided that I’m not going to fight it – I will tell you about my lunch and I won’t feel apologetic. I got a Rustic Croque Monsier, with local ham. That means that the pig is local. As in local. As in raised locally. Do you understand that it was local ham, from a local pig? Good. It was like beautifully presented and ridiculously tasty and it was like I was on an episode of Saturday Morning Kitchen.



After my lovely lunch (the other girls weren’t eating because they are sensible and make packed lunches) we walked around the town, took lots of pictures and visited some tourist shops that STUNK (or is it stank?) of cheese! My nostril felt violated.


Speaking of violation, I made a friend. Some old French man started talking to me. As I have trouble with the French language I had no idea what he was saying and I tried to tell him about this predicament (Englisssssh?), but he was a little bit/very creepy, so we swiftly moved along.

After my brief Frenchman encounter we walked along the canals and round to the lake and I can hardly even describe how lovely it was. It was a perfectly sunny day, warm enough for a skirt and t-shirt but not too warm and the town itself is really old fashioned. Everything in Switzerland (and in this case, France) looks like it has been taken right out of a Disney film. I’m useless and describing things – think canals, cobbled streets, beautiful old buildings, coloured shutters, lakes, mountains and sunshine. If you can imagine that, then you’ve got Annecy down. If not, have a look at the picture below – hopefully it’ll do the trick!





When we finished exploring we headed back to Geneva and had a lovely dinner followed by a lovely theological debate. I love Geneva and the anthropologists, especially when they’re combined.



xx

P.S Attractive Man Count was significantly less in France - By the end of the day the count had only risen to 24 - meaning that I only spotted 8 attractive men. I also saw several tiny dogs, I stopped counting at 18. Ahh, the French.

No comments:

Post a Comment