Friday 16 April 2010

Geneva on a Budget.

Thursday 15th April

After our epic trip to France we were all feeling a little bit tired and a little bit broke, so we decided to stay around Geneva and find some free things to do. Being the economical students that we are, we made lunch – mine didn’t make it out of the kitchen, but I still made something and then we headed to a park just outside the city centre. Temperatures weren’t exactly high and I was a little bit chilly, but we were on and off busses all day so I didn’t really notice it – we even caught a boat across the lake and didn’t have to pay as it was covered by our bus pass. Isn’t that amazing? You can take busses and trams and boats all on the same ticket; Oh Geneva, what don’t you do?

Another free thing to do is visit the UN (that stands for United Nations for anyone who lacks common sense) and the Broken Chair. Basically, it’s a big chair and it’s broken. It has some important meaning and I think it has something to do with the Mine Ban Treaty. Actually I know it has something to do with that. It was commissioned by Handicap International to “urge all countries to sign the Mine Ban Treaty and honour their commitments to help mine victims and to clear mined areas.” What a lovely sentiment. What wasn’t lovely was the stupid splinter that I got from trying to climb the chair leg. Tsk.



One of my favourite things to do in a new country is to visit the museum, so we went to the very good and very free Natural History Museum in Geneva. It was full of wonderful things like a two headed turtle (which isn’t actually that exciting or rare) and lots of stuffed animals. I’ve actually never seen that many dead animals in one place, like ever. It smelt (or is it smelled? I will never know!) like old people. How morbid! But it was fun to have a look around at all the different animals and to do impressions of them – I don’t think those pictures will be uploaded to Facebook, the “Pretending to be a Fish” look doesn’t really work for me! There were also a few wonderful moments when we broke into song. This seems to be happening quite a lot, usually to the Lion King soundtrack (Deception! Disgrace!) ¬There was a point when I thought we would never get out of that museum, but eventually we found an exit and headed back home (I’m aware that Emma’s house isn’t my home, yet, but I’m one of those people who refer to where they’re sleeping as home, be it in a friend’s house, a hostel or even a tent) and Emma made us a beautiful dinner. I was shocked, surprised and very full by the end of it :)





To finish off the night we watched Notting Hill, which is one of my all time favourite movies! It’s so lovely and I just love Julia Roberts – If I had to be one famous person I think I’d like to be her. Maybe not forever, but maybe just for a day. I think that would be an interesting experience, I think it would be interesting to be anyone else for a day, but it would be ever better to be her because then you could give Richard Gere a ring! But anyway, it was really nice watching Notting Hill, especially after realising that one of the actors not only looks, but acts like one of our friends from University – I now see that character in a completely different light and I can’t help but laugh every time he comes on the screen! We had the traditional late night chat and eventually fell asleep and now I’ll stop writing as nothing else interesting happened!

Attractive Man Count – 49! Geneva is clearly the place to be and I’m very sad I didn’t realise this sooner – they should tell you this during school, I would have excelled at French had I known!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment