Tuesday 24 December 2013

Back to the Bell Tower


03 December 2013


It’s December! We have entered our fifth month in China and I am happy to report that life here is better than expected. That’s probably not saying much. With hindsight, I realise that before I left I was a self appointed martyr, who acted as if she was being sent off to her exile/eventual death but now I’m actually here I am happy to report that I love living in China. I love waking up in my own apartment, I love the food, I love that everything is so cheap and most of all I love that I can hop on the subway and head off on an adventure whenever I want. Obviously there are things I could do without; the spitting, the smell, having to do my own washing and the chore that is cooking anything other than brownies but in general, I love it here!




Frozen lake


Coats for trees


One of the very first things we did when we arrived in Beijing was visit the Drum and Bell Tower. When we woke up the sky was blue and the air was crisp but not cold so we decided to venture back. After a forty minute subway ride which, as always, cost 20p, we arrived at Houhai Lake. To my surprise the lake was partly frozen! We had a bit of a cold snap a few days ago but I never thought it would be cold enough to freeze a huge lake! I can’t wait to come back after some proper cold weather - apparently ice skating on the lake is popular. Despite the sheet of ice people were still swimming! There wasn’t a wetsuit in sight either, just Speedos!

Assimilating with the locals

Random chickens on the doorstep









A bobo shop, for adults!



We had a quick lunch at a hole in the wall burger restaurant which despite being cooked in the world’s smallest electric grill was surprisingly good and we finished the day by walking around some of the local hutongs. Some of the pictures may look familiar which is probably because we retraced our steps from an earlier trip. I realise that everyday life doesn’t make for the most interesting Blog posts but it was nice to go back and see how Beijing has changed in the few months we’ve been here!

No comments:

Post a Comment