Saturday 17 August 2013

Korea... in China.



10/08/13


The lack of internet in our apartment makes planning anything pretty difficult. I like to know where we’re going, how we’re getting there and how much it should all cost. We had thought about going to Shanghai for a few days but we didn’t know enough about the place or how to get there. Instead we spent the day cleaning and by ‘we’ I really mean that I cleaned and Rory watched. I’m not adverse to help but I like things done in a certain way (the right way) and Rory never seems to get it quite right. 


We finally finished cleaning the kitchen so we stopped for lunch and met some of the foreign teaches in Wanda Plaza the big shopping mall near our apartment. Eventually we decided to get Korean BBQ, which is something Rory and I were pretty pleased about as we’ve wanted to try it for a while. Basically there’s a big pit in the middle of your table that they fill it with burning wood/coals. They then place a metal plate over the top and you cook your meal at your table. We chose three different meat dishes (spicy beef, beef ribs, thinly sliced beef) and a few side dishes of onions, mushrooms and of course fried rice. It was a lot of fun cooking our own dinner and the meat was pure beaut. It also only cost about £5 so we’ll definitely be back!





I wish I could say we did something exciting that evening but really we went back to the apartment and spent the entire day cleaning. The apartment didn’t look that dirty at first but when I got going it was insane how dusty and grimy a house can be without seeming dirty. Rory didn’t really see the point in cleaning the window frames, inside the cupboards, down the drains, under the sofa or the entire front door but I feel so much happier knowing that it’s done and all I’ll need to do for a while is the basics! Besides, why live in a dirty gross house when all it takes is a little effort to live in a clean one? Now that the place is gleaming and all the furniture has been moved around I think we’ll get back to having adventures – tomorrow we’re hitting up some Hutongs! Stay tuned for pictures :)
                                                                                                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment