Tuesday 6 August 2013

The Adventure Begins


04/08/13

To be fair, our adventure began several months ago. After completing our CELTA course we started researching possible teaching locations. The opportunities were endless. Sort of. They were endless in the sense that if you wanted to work in Europe you definitely could (as long as you had experience) and if you wanted to work in South America you definitely could (as long as you didn’t mind making illegal borders runs every three months).  So Rory and I adjusted our jobs search and turned our attention to the East and the rest, as they say, is history.

Some boring stuff happened, like sending CVs and having Skype interviews but everything went relatively smoothly and in a matter of weeks we set about booking flights and packing our bags. When we went to Thailand we brought one 9kg rucksack each. We were all about packing light. However, I clearly don’t take my own advice as this morning when we rocked up to Dublin airport we were weighed down with two rucksacks, two large suitcases and two ridiculously heavy gym bags which we passed off as hand luggage. Thankfully Etihad has a generous baggage allowance so our six bags, weighing a total of 75kg breezed through check-in. Note to future travellers – print your boarding pass off before you come to the airport. I do not know why people still stand in mile long queues  when they could check-in online and head straight to the always empty bag drop line!

My little Sherpa

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, our day and flights were very uneventful. We did fly over Baghdad on our way to Abu Dhabi so that was pretty cool. I felt like I was in an episode of Homeland, sort of. Other than that we ate some airplane food (even if the food is average it’s still pretty amazing that they can cater for literally hundreds of people at one time), watched a few films and I played around with my new DSLR. Hopefully I’ll figure out how to use it and then I’ll be able to chuck up a few pictures! 

1 comment:

  1. Yes. The blog is back. I love reading about your crazy adventures.

    ReplyDelete