Thursday 22 September 2011

L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N

1st September 2011

Or at least that’s what I’ve been told, mainly by Noah and the Whale but a few others have thrown this phrase about. Now that I’m a real life grown up I agree. Time passes and it passes very quickly, so quickly that I often don’t get the chance to write about its passage. I haven’t written on this Blog in over seven months, which is probably a good thing but it’s something that bothers me. I’ve been having all these brilliant adventures with brilliant people but I’m too lazy to write them down and I’m already starting to forget, another thing that happens when you’re a real life grown up.

I’d love to go back over the past seven months and write it all down but that’d bore you to death and I think I’d follow soon after. Instead I’ll start from now. Right now to be precise. Right now I’m sitting on flight US725, in seat 8C flying over the Atlantic Ocean. Why? Because for some strange reason I thought it’d be a good idea to go and get myself a scholarship to study business in America. It was the perfect plan really, everything is paid for, the flight (which, not to be a moan, is a bit rubbish, I feel like I’m easy-jetting it all the way to America) my accommodation, all my food, books and then the ridiculously expensive tuition fee. It’s a great opportunity and if I can stick it out I’ll get lots of fancy pieces of paper to say how great I am but that’s all if I can endure to the end. The old, not so grown up Gina loved travelling, being alone and independent and all that jazz but I think I’ve become a bit of a home bird. I think I’ve just been in Baylands for too long. I’ve grown accustomed to Esther’s excellent cooking and snuggles with Kelso, so The College of the Lady of the Elms will be a bit of a change.



So how did I get this scholarship? I applied for it. I also kept it secret because I thought I’d never get it so it was a nice surprise for all my nearest and dearest! When my application had been accepted I attended an interview to say how wonderful I am and then I attended another interview to again say how wonderful I was and where I wanted to go. I didn’t get any of my choices but instead I got Massachusetts, which while difficult to spell, is meant to be pretty great and not in the “I’m so great I just lied about how sporty I am” way but rather in the “one of the most beautiful and cultural places in America” way. I obviously have to study business, which will be an absolute disaster, especially if it involves maths (I still count with my fingers) but hopefully it’ll make people want to give me a job. I have to do a few presentations/reports and I take four classes a semester. But that’s enough of the boring stuff…

It all kicked off when I got off the plane, which was eight hours of my life that I’ll never get back and which I’d rather not repeat. It wasn’t a bad flight I just don’t have the patience to sit for hours on end, eating crap food in a tiny seat without anyone fun to talk to! When I arrived at the airport I was met by the Elms College International Club and we drove back to the college. I was given the key to my room, unpacked my bags and then took a quick tour of the campus - my personal highlight was the canteen, a magical place that you’ll be hearing a lot more about. Basically it’s all you can eat, all day, every day. They have different stations, a salad station, a hot food station, a grill station where they cook whatever you want, an entire wall of drinks machines where you can get everything and I literally mean everything - one day I’ll pluck up the courage to take a picture so that you can appreciate the wonder of American college dining! After dinner we had a movie/pizza night and then I came back to my room, climbed (and yes, I do mean climbed, my bed is ridiculously high) in to bed and fell asleep. It was a super long day, hence the super long post, but I’m finally here and hopefully my real adventures will start soon!



P.S, that is my super high bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment