Sunday 8 May 2016

Budapest, My Hidden Treasure Chest

Saturday 16th April

Our last day in Budapest has arrived. I definitely had the goodbye blues when I woke up but another delicious breakfast, which once again featured French toast, helped ease the pain. If breakfast wasn’t delicious enough  it also had the added bonus of Rory making a fool out of himself. After filling up his glass of apple juice he went right ahead and dropped the entire glass jug on to the floor where it smashed in to a millions pieces.  Unfortunately I didn’t see the moment but I did see his scundered face when  he returned to the table and that was good enough for me.





With check out not until 12 noon we decided to watch a few episodes of Suits, which even when  you’re in a city as beautiful  as Budapest, is always worth doing. Once we’d checked out and dropped off our bags we set off in search of the Central Market Hall. This market gives St George’s  a run for its money – the ground floor is dedicated to produce and meats and many locals can be spotted buying their weekly shopping. The second floor features an assortment of traditional stalls selling  everything from table cloths to hand made dolls and also an assortment of food vendors. We did the usual scouting mission and while I would have loved a table cloth, I couldn’t justify  spending £80 on one when I don’t even have a house! I did however manage some goulash soup which was really delicious and a very reasonable  £3.


















From here we went to Dohany Street Synagogue. Unfortunately we visited on a Saturday when  the synagogue and museum are closed but it was still worth a look. From the street you can see parts of the holocaust memorial and the names of the many people who died here,  in Budapest’s Jewish Ghetto, during WW2. One day I would like to return and learn more about the history of Hungary but for now our time was running out so we headed back to the hotel. As luck would have it we came across a street market. The food was too good to pass up so we got some sort of traditional Hungarian chicken flatbread wrap.  It was just what we needed and from here we set off to say one last goodbye  to the parliament building,



















Who could have known that a casual walk along the river would turn in to a star  studded encounter?! Not me! Imagine my absolute delight when none other that Mr. Big himself ran past!  Yes, that’s right,  Chris Noth who plays Mr. Big in Sex and the City, or more recently, Peter Florrick in The Good Wife, was out for a run in Budapest. I would like to think that I’m a really chilled out person  but I won’t lie, I just blurted out “OH MY GOODNESS” really loudly. Smooth. Of course Rory had absolutely  no idea who he was and he didn’t quite share my excitement at my little brush with celebrity.


There he goes!

The one and only!



With the most exciting part of our holiday behind us we headed back to the hotel, picked up our bags, made it to the train  station, bought niceys at the shop (but didn’t have enough money to pay for them so we had to try explain in English that I wanted to return the Kinder Egg) and finally got on our sleeper  train to Krakow! We’ve been on a sleeper train in South East Asia but this is our first in Europe! We went for a two bed compartment and I was pleasantly  surprised. It has everything you need apart from a toilet and I think it’ll be an adventure.  I haven’t used the public loo yet so maybe I won’t be feeling just as adventurous come the morning!









No comments:

Post a Comment