Sunday 21 June 2015

On the Road Again

15/06/15

Despite my very best efforts to sleep in, I found myself wide awake at 5am. I flipped the pillow on to the cool side, wiggled around for a bit and even closed my eyes nice and tight but nothing worked so I resigned myself to an early start. The one good thing about early starts is that you can actually start the day early. When 8am rolled around I wasn’t frantically driving to work because I slept in, I was sitting in Joe’s Grill having waffles with Canadian bacon and maple syrup.



In an attempt to feel less guilty about all the bacon and syrup, I decided to buy a fitbit. I have had serious tech-envy over the last few weeks and even though I know I’ll get bored of it after a day, I felt that knowing how many steps I take isn’t a luxury, it’s basically a human right. With my brand spanking new fitbit on my arm, I was ready to face the day, which unfortunately involved lots of driving and very little walking.


We checked out, loaded up the car and were off on our next adventure. Rory and SatNav worked together to form a navigation dream team and with very little effort or stress (maybe there was a little stress) we arrived at Horseshoe Bay. We had given ourselves so much time to get to the terminal that we were the first ones to arrive so we parked up and explored the very quaint little ferry town.
It wasn’t long before we boarded the ferry and were on our way to Vancouver Island. Driving in Canada still takes some getting used to, so when I heard SatNav say these glorious words I was one very happy driver; drive on route 19 for 212 miles. Driving in a straight line, for 4 hours? I can do that!

















We quite happily spent the next few hours being overtaken and we even stopped off at a few “rest stops” which despite looking like a great place to dispose of a body, were really pleasant. As we got closer and closer to our B&B SatNav wasn’t up to the job but luckily Rory had a rough idea of where we were going and I remembered looking at the place on Google Maps. From that we found the house, met the owner and were shown to our room.





Room is a bit of an understatement. We have the entire ground floor which is more space than we’d ever need but which I’m definitely not turning down. Our bedroom is the perfect size and the bed is not only huge but insanely comfortable. You can lie in bed, looking out across the water, watching hummingbirds, eagles, deer and the occasional black bear. There’s even under floor heating in the bathroom!











It was hard tearing ourselves away from the house but we ventured in to Port McNeil for some dinner; fish and chips from the Northern Lights restaurant! We rushed back just in time to grab a hot chocolate, sit on the porch swing and watch the sun set. Can I stay here forever?





No comments:

Post a Comment