Sunday 29 September 2013

Houhai Lake and Peking Duck



16.09.13 

We’ve made it through another busy week! I was called in to cover three double classes so that was interesting and a senior teacher observed one of my classes – of course it was the day that my little angels decided to be a complete nightmare but that’s life! We wanted to do something on our day off so we decide to head to Houhai Lake for a relaxing day in the sun!



Having already been to Beihai Park I imagined Houhai would be similar but it was less of a park and more of a lake which was actually really nice as the lake is surrounded by some really cool bars, restaurants and lots of winding hutongs.





I think this cat looks like a model!

Some men cleaning the river... I think!


The Chinese version of the Pickie Swans!

Fishing!




The Bell Tower

One man and his dog. They even looked alike!


 After checking our Lonely Planet guide we decided to stop off at a local restaurant to try the recommended Peking Duck. I’ve never eaten duck before and the idea of chowing down on what was once a cute little duckling didn’t really appeal to me but it’s a speciality out here so I thought I should at least give it a try. After a long wait the chef came out and using a huge knife set about cutting and slicing like a true pro. Rory got stuck in and thoroughly enjoyed his duck but I didn’t have the same pleasant experience. I picked at some of the meat and I will admit that when it was all wrapped in the pancake it wasn’t bad but then I made the mistake of trying to eat the crispy skin. That seemed to trigger all the animal associations and I just couldn’t eat anything without gagging. It probably sounds melodramatic but I genuinely felt like I was in the midst of a Bush Tucker Trial on “I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here”.  It’s strange to think that mental association can override taste and cause such a violet physical response. So while Rory assures me that it was nice, I think it’s safe to say that I’ll never be eating duck again! Despite the duck disaster we had a really nice day and took some sneaky snaps!

Our little chef



 







No comments:

Post a Comment